Some of the things I’ve heard over the past 7 years of Earth Art:
- Stick to stock photography Ben, where you know there is guaranteed money.
- I can give you a quote on a website where you can sell prints, but mate are you sure you will sell enough to make it worth it?
- You can’t make money from landscape photography unless you host photo tours around the world.
- People won’t buy large prints off a website sight unseen.
- You cant make it as a professional landscape photographer that focuses on South Australia.
- Why do you only sell big prints? You’re missing out on lots of customers.
- Your prices are too high.
The armchair experts will always have their opinions (often well meaning) but thankfully I’ve always trusted my instincts rather than someone else’s. Put in the work, stay patient, stay consistent and watch the results start coming in. Despite not having a chance to shoot as much as I’d like, this has been my best year yet in 15 years of self employment. I’m definitely looking forward to making next year even better though!